Since the Bungalows became available for rent we have had many inquiries from colleagues and friends about Vieques. It obviously struck a chord with us, but it is safe to say that it may not be everyone’s cup of tea. With that in mind we thought it wise to compile a list of reasons that might help distinguish if this is really a place certain people would like to visit.
Our sense is most people will love the place and likely return several times. But I also do know that there is a percentage of the population that will arrive in Vieques for whom their departure flight will not come soon enough. These are likely the same type of people who go to Italy and complain that the pasta is not cooked enough – “its El Dente”!
So let’s get started. You probably will not enjoy Vieques if you;
1) Need a weekly fix of North American style fast food.
2) Usually travel with your golf clubs while on vacation.
3) Are interested in eating out every night and don’t enjoy at least some part of your vacation to be self catering.
4) Are not content relaxing on a quiet unspoiled beach with a good book.
5) Immediately ask what the casinos and night clubs are like.
6) Expect all of the shopping and amenities to be just like what you have at home.
7) Do not expect to rent a vehicle.
8) Are not expecting to share the island with the odd mosquito and wild horse.
9) Will not find the peeping Coqui frogs and crowing roosters part of the islands appeal.
10) Do not find the joy in the little things in life.