Wherever possible we encourage the guests of the Bravos Bungalows to be energy conscious and to recycle as much as possible.
As you can appreciate Vieques, being an island, must either remove waste from the island or send it to the growing landfill. All energy is imported to Vieques and not much of it is green. To do our part to reduce, re-use and re-cycle, we have installed compact fluorescent lighting where possible, low flow toilets and showerheads, individual thermostats to control air conditioning in guest bedrooms, fans to reduce the need for air conditioning, energy efficient and water conserving washer and dryer and provided grey recycling baskets for your cans.
Please consider the following ways to reduce, re-use and recycle;
· Save your beer cans and leave them with our neighbor to the north of the property who is happy recycle these items rather than sending them to the landfill
· Unfortunately, Vieques does not provide recycling pickup. If you have a car and wish to recycle your cans and you plan a trip to Esperanza, you can drop them off at the Vieques Conservation and Historical Trust (on the Malecón a few doors from Bananas)
· Lower the thermostat or turn off the air conditioning when not in use
· Use the correct load size/cycle when laundering
· Use cold rather than a hot laundry cycle
· Run the dishwasher when it is full rather than small more frequent loads
· Run water only when needed
· Turn off lights and other electric items (fans, TV, etc.) when leaving to enjoy a day at the beach
· Close the blinds during the day to keep the rooms cooler
· Re-use your plastic bags when shopping at the grocery store (better yet – bring a cloth bag with you) – plastic bags can be recycled at the small boutique in Isabel up the main street from Buen Provecho and the Siddhia Hutchison Gallery- she makes great bags that you can use for, you guessed it, shopping!
· When buying paper products, consider recycled
Thanks for considering these ways to reduce, re-use and re-cycle!
A SEA TURTLE SPOTTED AT GREEN BEACH